Friday, November 28, 2008

Long Overdue!






So, I know it was over a month ago, actually almost two, but I wanted you all to know that I did it! I trained all summer, flew to Washington D.C. and ran the Army Ten Miler. Liz and I did the whole thing...without stopping. The big reason I ran the race in the first place was for TAPS, in honor of my brother. Liz said to me "Christian would be so proud" and that was it, I was committed. I couldn't turn back. My mom and I flew out on Thursday, at the crack of dawn, actually, before the crack of dawn. We had a lovely visit with the Minneapolis airport and on we flew to Reagan National Airport. My cousin Stephanie, who's family moved to DC just weeks before, picked us up and we headed out to see the new Hattix family home. It was beautiful! And, as always, Steph, Larry, Naomi, Laurel, and Isaiah were so welcoming. I miss having them in Wisconsin!

On Thursday, my mom, Stephanie, and I went out to Arlington National Cemetery to see Christian's headstone. This, this was a very strange experience. I wasn't sure what my reaction would be and I'm still unsure of what exactly I felt, but it was eerie, and surreal. To see the stone, with Christian's name on it made his death, somehow even more real, even more final, if that's even possible. The long rows of headstones, so evenly placed, and carefully kept each represented a life. Many of them given as young men in active duty, before what seems right. It was simultaneously heartbreaking and honoring. Hard and sad, but I'm glad I went.

As for the run, we were up bright and early for the walk to the Pentagon to join with over 25,000 other runners. It was exciting and energizing to run with so many people. The Star Spangled Banner was sung and as it was ending a formation of UH-60 Blackhawks flew over the crowd. I'm not sure if anyone who wasn't there remembers, but there was a Blackhawk flyover, exactly like that, at Christian's burial service at Arlington. To see the Army salute Christian like that and then salute a crowd of 25,000 runners the same way spoke volumes of Christian's service for our country.

The run went well, it took a bit longer than I'd hoped but my feet kept going the entire time. We had cheerleaders at Miles 4, 6, and 8, complete with signs and yelling and cameras. Looking forward to seeing my family along the route was such an encouragement! Lars (in his jeans), Ethan, and Laura joined us for the final two miles. That was awesome, because I really thought that Mile 9 was out to get me and Lars was such a great encouragement:) Liz got a little ahead when Lars started running with me (or maybe I got behind), but she waited and we found a burst of energy and finished fast and strong. People talk about a "runner's high" but I think that I had a high all day long, just from finishing:)

To all of you have supported me in this adventure...THANK YOU!

Later in the day we walked around downtown in DC and I needed help from Lars in another way...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maja, what a beautiful photo of you and Lars. Congrats on your accomplishment. I got a little teared up reading about your brother at Arlington. I'm glad you felt like it was an important and good experience for you.