Tuesday, January 29, 2008

St. Kitts

Yes, yes, I know that it almost two weeks after the fact, but better late than never, right? I think so...

An haiku in honor of St. Kitts:

St. Kitts, small island
Jon's tropical paradise
Sunshine warms deeply

Ok, so maybe that was not my very best haiku, but it's been a while...I may be a bit rusty. I've got to say there is something wonderful about wearing a sundress with bare legs and arms on January 15. Liz and I made a leisurely start to each day, waking up between 9:00 and 10:00, throwing on a swimsuit, flipflops, and a coverup, and grabbing a coffee and croissant before making our way to the poolside lounge chairs. There we spent the next hours soaking the sun deep into our bones. I think, just maybe, there is something healing about sunshine. I felt warm all the way to the core!

Jon joined us as soon as his classes were finished and most days we went out and did something "island-y." There was a long walk down the beach on the Atlantic side, a drive out to North Friar's beach with Otis and Jon's vet school friends (along with all their dogs), a hike up the volcano, snorkeling in the Carribean, dinner at Jon's place, Wilbur the (very huge) pig, monkeys, goats, cows, VERY good food. It was a great trip that ended too quickly!





3 comments:

Dyllan's Dependents said...

I want to go back!

stephseef said...

Maja, these look particularly wonderful as I'm sitting here at -4. :) Thanks for sharing them.

Steph

Anonymous said...

you look radient...and you really deserved this trip!!!!!!!