Thursday, November 22, 2007

Packing Out

We finished packing out. The Italian moving men came in and quickly and efficiently packed up the house in Fontana Fredda, Italy. Liz's household goods were wrapped in bubble wrap, sealed into boxes, then stacked in crates to be sealed and put into storage. This, for the most part, went smoothly.

I should clarify, logistically the packing went smoothly. For the emotions it was rough and ragged. On Monday, before the packers came, we tried to help Liz decide what came quickly to the states and what should be stored long term. As the day wore on we all became increasingly sad and somber. Before bed I went down into Christian's room, really a room that acted as a closet and "man space." It smelled like him, it looked like him, it felt like he was going to walk through the beaded curtain any second. I couldn't help but think that to pack it all up would really feel like an end.

Here, in Italy, Christian and Liz had become "Christian & Liz!" They had been in a place where, in the beginning, they only had each other and the Lord. A solid foundation for a beautiful picture of what a godly marriage was intended to be. I didn't see them in the mundane, every day routine of life, but in the conversations and visits I saw my brother in a very good place. With Elizabeth and the Lord as number one in his life, Christian was the best version of himself I'd ever known. I thank the Lord that Elizabeth was my brother's wife and that she is my sister-in-law.

Packing up the house in Italy meant saying a little bit of goodbye. This place, where he was so happy, was bit by bit, piece by piece, being packed up and stowed away. I watched my mom do his last laundry and wept when I realized that would be the last time. I don't pretend to know the emotions of being a parent, but I do know that my parents loved Christian, and each of us, with an unfailing love. An unfailing love that has been a picture of the love of my Heavenly Father. Again, I rest in the Everlasting Arms that have proven themselves faithful again and again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Maja-
I am so glad you have started writing again. Not one day has passed since the accident that I have not thought about you- at least a million times a day. I wish I could hug you, my old friend. You and your family have played such a HUGE role in my childhood, it seems that the majority of my memories always have a Skoglund in it somewhere!! You have a wonderfully strong, faithful family and may the love that surrounds you in this time lessen your pain somehow. I grieve with you, as a childhood friend who remembers Christian at group lessons- reading quietly, or remembering his presence at birthday parties and recitals. I look at my own children and grieve with your Mother. The love for your children is so powerful, I cannot begin to imagine what the loss of one must feel like. I grieve with your dear sister-in-law, as a fellow Army wife- one of our greatest fears was realized for her.

I know nothing I say can ease the pain right now, but just know that I am thinking of you, every day. Hoping, praying that you can find strength, peace, and a little hope in this most difficult time.

With much love,
Yumi
kyk_george@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Maja,
Aunt Gail, Matthew, and I are looking forward (but wishfully under better circumstances) to seeing you all in DC. We can't imagine how you feel. For us it is a constant knot in the stomach, difficulty sleeping soundly , and frequent tears. We know DC will be much more of this. I have been keeping up with Liz's and her mom's blog. It has been helpful in our coping. I only met Liz briefly, but am looking forward to seeing her again and meeting her family.