Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas!

There were parts of celebrating Christmas that may just have been perfect! I love it when Christmas Eve or Christmas Day actually falls on a Sunday. What better way to celebrate Christ's birth than in a church service? I know that I can remember real purpose of Christmas any day, but going to a church service right in the middle of your preparation or celebration draws the whole purpose for celebrating into focus.

Here is a quick rundown of the Christmas events. Then, if I get some time, or feel ambitious, I'll post some pictures.

On Sunday, Christmas Eve, we had church in the morning and my worship team had to be ready to practice at 7:30am! Craziness...this chica got herself out of bed, showered, dressed, blow-dried, made-up, triple latte-ed, and to church ready to play by 7:26. BAM!

It was a great service and then, off to home to get some last minute preparations done for Christmas. Actually, I cleaned up the tornado that was my room, vacuumed the pit that was my car and ran a few errands to pick up the last few gifts (have I mentioned how much I love to buy presents?). Dinner was at the Black's house, which was so great because we didn't have to set tables, dust every nook and cranny, or wash floors before having dozens of people over.

Then NAP-time! Sunday afternoon nap on Christmas Eve...it doesn't get much better. Dinner was a-maz-ing, euchre with the cousins was so much fun, and did I mention that dinner was a-maz-ing?!?! (There was another great rendition of the Kirkegaard Doxology, see the Thanksgiving post) We sang "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" at midnight and then I went home and finished wrapping presents. Nothing like the last minute!

Christmas Day was awesome too! I'll give the short version. Stockings on my parents bed at 9:30am. Brunch (eggs, bacon, toast, fruit salad, German Apple Pancake) till noon then we cleaned up and moved to the tree. My dad put a fire in the fireplace and we sat and opened presents one by one for most of the afternoon. We took frequent breaks for things like latte's and cookies, a crossword puzzle, and an inter-continental phone call from my brother and sister-in-law (I wish they could have been here, but can't wait to visit!).

The day ended with my friends Beth, Dave, and Kira coming to the house to play Speed Scrabble and then we went to see the Pursuit of Happyness at the new Marcus Theater. That, is a quick summary of an amazing couple of days. I must say that this Christmas season has been so joyful! I was surrounded by so many of the people that I love. I have such a strong connection with so many of them because of the common bond we share through Christ. I am continually reminded of God's love and provision for us in sending his son to earth, to save us from our sins. He lowered himself to be one of us, yet fully God and perfectly holy! Christ was born, then grew up to die on a Roman cross in our place and then he rose again, thereby conquering death and giving us a way to be saved from our sins! That, my friends, is why I love to celebrate Christmas, because of what Christ has done for me!

1 comment:

John Choi said...

Well put!!!