Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Packers beat who? Oh yeah, the Vikings!

I'm sure that this was one of the very best Sundays of the season. Church this morning was a pleasure and an encouragement to live my life as is pleasing unto the Lord. Because I am fighting a bit of a head cold, I came home and curled up back in bed. I had a glorious hour and a half of napping, followed by a tasty dinner and the second half of a fantastic Packers-Vikings game. After the game we had celebratory caffe mochas and some time reading the paper. Fellowship time with some of the church family came next and my day ended with some friends at Starbucks playing the beloved game of Speed Scrabble.

I have just a small tribute to the Packers after their exciting victory over the Vikings. A haiku:

Favre and the Packers
Defeated the Viking clan
In their house you won

Way to go Packers, it was a fun game to watch. I always like the ones that are nailbiters. Well, that or run-away victories! Between the Packers (who seem to be improving, knock-on-wood) and the Badgers (who are doing fantastic) football has been fun this fall.

The week in review seems pretty routine, but it was a good week, overall (If we ignore the cold). Impact on Wednesday night was good. The team that I am on lead worship this week. I was a little nervous because we had minimal rehearsal time for this week, but we played with a very scaled back group and I thought it went well. It was just Beth and Pete singing, Pete on guitar, Greg on drums, and my violin. Really chilled out and laid back. We sang some of our team's favorites and I really felt like I got to worship with the whole congregation. We've revived an older song recently and have played it a few times lately. Wonderful, Merciful Saviour, just speaks truth about who God is and what he has done for us.

It is songs like that one that make me love music as a form of worship so much. Because music is such an emotional tool, it is a great way to intersect the truths that we can find in the text with the emotional connection we get because the text is set with music. The integration of knowledge and emotion is something that I've been learning a lot about in many different areas of my life and I think one of the most important is in the way I worship. As a musician, up in front of people, leading people into a spirit of worship, I have such a responsibility to bring the best text, the best music and most importantly a right view of God to the people I'm trying to help lead.

Anyways, that was one of the highlights of the week. I also taught lots of lessons (I love my job), had class (talked about Bach and Handel), played a 10pm soccer game (we lost, but I had a ton of fun), went to a birthday party (made a fantastic cheesecake), and went to the Heritage play (Beth was Asst. Director). Overall, a good week!

2 comments:

Dyllan's Dependents said...

Love reading your blog. Keep posting the pics. I am going to put a link on my blog to yours once I figure it out. Good talking to you last night.
Liz

Anonymous said...

Hey Maja
I know that this really might burst your Packer bubble but technically the Vikings are still ahead of the Packers in the standings that matter.
Sorry sweetie,

Drew, your favorite Vikings twice removed fan.